If you experience an eye injury, see a physician or an eyecare provider as soon as possible. Until you are examined by a medical professional, review the following guidelines to prevent further eye damage:
- Hold a folded cloth over the eye to serve as a shield.
- Bandage any cuts around your eye to prevent contamination or infection.
- Flush it with water if there is a small piece of debris in your eye.
- Use a cold compress to treat a blunt-trauma injury, such as a black eye, but be careful not to apply additional pressure.
- Do not remove any objects embedded in the eye as this could cause vital eye fluids to leak.
- Do not wash or flush your eye when dealing with cuts or punctures.
- Do not attempt to self-medicate. Avoid ointments and medications, including over-the-counter drugs.
- Do not rub your eye. Doing so could cause more damage.